Sunday, September 30, 2007

Happy Holidays Book

Hold on to your knickers because this is going to be a long post, but with lots of pretty pictures!

I've been thinking about making a little book for pictures from the upcoming holidays for quite a while. This weekend I finally had time to implement that idea without getting sidetracked. You know how that goes, you have the best intentions to work on Project A but then you see a new cool Project B on the internet or in a magazine that you just have to drop everything else to do. But I resisted and here is the oh-so-neato book that I made:

I took oodles of pictures so that you can see it in all of its glory. Yes, I really like how this turned out! First off is the cover. I used my CuttleBug and the Red Tag Sale Alphabet dies to cut out the "family" letters from chipboard. I then painted them with Mellow Moss and Garden Green Craft ink. The "f", "m" and "L" are Garden Green and the other letters are Mellow Moss. And by "painted" I mean that I mushed the letters into the ink pads. Somewhat messy, but not too bad if you are careful. I then sped up the drying process by using my Heat Gun.

Now the letters were pretty but needed something... glitter! I inked each letter with VersaMark (mush method) and coated with Heat n' Stick powder. I used the Heat Gun to melt the powder and then coated them a second time with Dazzling Diamonds glitter. Gave 'em another quick zap with the Heat Gun to set the glitter.

Next step for the cover was a focal image. I used the Happy Holidays stamp from Big On Christmas; stamped with Noir Palette Hybrid ink on Naturals White cardstock. I used a blender pen and the following Classic ink pads to color the image: Purely Pomegranate, Wild Wasabi, Summer Sun and Close to Cocoa. Then some Dazzling Diamonds glitter was added to the tree with the Sakura Quickie Glue Pen. Every Christmas tree needs a little bling, doesn't it?

Hmmm... apparently I've skipped an important step: the book assembly! The covers are 4" x 6" pieces of chipboard covered with Wintergreen Designer Series Paper. I used my Bind-it-All and 1" silver O-wire rings to assemble the book together. There are twelve 3.5" x 5.5" inner pages cut from Natural White cardstock. Once the book was assembled ribbon was knotted around each wire.

But it's not done yet! I still needed to finish the inner pages. I decided that I wanted to keep them simple so I cut 12 pieces of 3.25" x 4.5" cardstock, 2 each of the following colors: Purely Pomegranate, Mellow Moss, Garden Green, So Saffron, Close to Cocoa and Chocolate Chip. I glued one of these to each page as a picture mat. I also added a few tabs as page accents stamped with words from Fundamental Phrases and Amazing to Zany (Happy, Joyful and Wishes).

I did add some Chocolate Chip Taffeta ribbon to the first page but that was it. I may add more ribbon after pictures are added to the book.

Then I decided that the book would not be complete without some little stamped images that could be glued to each page with Stampin' dimensionals. So I stamped a bunch of oranments, trees and snowmen. Colored them with Classic ink and a blender pen and then added some Dazzling Diamonds glitter with the Sakura Quickie Glue Pen. I'll put these little images in a plastic baggie and after the pictures are added I can glue one to each page. It will be so pretty! :) Here's a peek at what it will look like, however that ornament is just lying there as I have not adhered it yet.

And of course you probably want to see the rest of these so here they are:

All images copyright Stampin' Up!. Supplies used: Big On Christmas stamp set; Fundamental Phrases stamp set; Amazing to Zany stamp set; Purely Pomegranate, Garden Green, Naturals White, Mellow Moss, Close to Cocoa and Chocolate Chip cardstock; Wintergreen Designer Series Paper; Chipboard; Purely Pomegranate; Wild Wasabi, Summer Sun, Mellow Moss, Pumpkin Pie and Close To Cocoa Classic ink; Garden Green and Mellow Moss Craft ink; Noir Palette Hybrid ink; Dazzling Diamonds Glitter; Heat 'n Stick powder; Sakura Quickie Glue Pen; Rich Regals eyelets; Chocolate Chip Taffeta Ribbon; Wild Wasabi double stitched ribbon; Purely Pomegranate double stitched ribbon; May Arts brown and burgundy satin ribbons; Mellow Moss stitched ribbon (retired).

Tools used: Bind-it-All; Heat Gun; Basic Grey File set (for smoothing the edges of the covers after the paper was applied); Round Tab Punch; Crop-a-Dile; Ticket Corner Punch.

1 comment:

  1. What a great book! I love it:)! TFS.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your sweet comments! I love hearing from you. :)