Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Merry & Bright Altered Can

A while back I mentioned the yummy black velvet ribbon I picked up at the local scrapbook store. Well, I also bought a few sheets of this delicious glittery paper by Imaginisce. I've been hoarding this paper but finally broke down and sliced a few pieces off to alter a quart-sized paint can. Come Christmas it will make the perfect packaging for a small gift... say something like a pair of fuzzy warm socks. Yup, I said socks but not just any ol' pair of socks. They have to be warm, comfy and fun. :)

The step-by-step instructions: Cut two pieces of paper that are as tall as the can and a little over half the circumference. I used one of those flexible dress-maker measuring tapes that you can get at sewing stores (usually for just a dollar or two) to measure my can. I then used sticky strip to adhere the two pieces together, overlapping just a little. Then more sticky strip was used to glue the paper to the can. Next I cut two 1" x 12" pieces of the coordinating paper and again adhered the two pieces together. I then adhered this piece to the can with sticky strip but cut off the excess paper (this cut will be covered up by the scalloped square so no worries if it is not perfect). Wrap and knot a couple of ribbons around the can.

Stamp the tree from Merry and Bright on Whisper White cardstock twice. Color with Watercolor Wonder Crayons and a blender pen. Then using the Sakura Quickie Glue Pen adhere some Dazzling Diamonds to the trees. Next stamp the Merry & Bright from the snowman stamp next to one of the trees. Using paper snips cut out one tree and then use the 1 1/4" punch to cut out the second tree. Next mount the square tree on a slightly larger square of Always Artichoke cardstock (I used the 1 3/8" square punch) and then again on a piece of Bravo Burgundy cardstock (I used the Mega Scallop Square punch by Marvy to punch mine out). Adhere this over the ribbon, covering where the accent strips met, with Stampin' dimensionals.

For the lid I cut a piece of coordinating paper with the Coluzzle cutting system (used the fifth ring from the center). I then wrapped a piece of ribbon around it and knotted. Ran this piece throught a Zyron machine to make sticky and stuck it to the lid of my can. I then adhered the second little tree to the lid with Stampin' dimensionals.

All images copyright Stampin' Up!. Supplies used: Merry & Bright stamp set; Bravo Burgundy, Always Artichoke and Whisper White cardstock; Candy Cane Lane paper by imaginisce; Noir Palette Hybrid ink; Watercolor Wonder Crayons (Always Artichoke and Certainly Celery); various ribbons purchased at Michael's; Dazzling Diamonds glitter; Sakura Quickie Glue Pen; Stampin' Dimensionals; quart size paint can. Tools used: 1 1/4" square punch; 1 3/8" square punch; Mega scallop square punch by Marvy; Zyron.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your sweet comments! I love hearing from you. :)