Thursday, September 13, 2007

Merry & Bright Coaster Box

A few months ago I bought a ton of chipboard coasters with the intention of making oodles of projects with them. I did make a bunch of mini books (for which I bought a Bind-it-All) and a couple of coaster frames but that was about it. Picture a cabinet with hundreds of coasters sitting in it... yup, that is my cabinet! Well, tonight I decided to ink up some new rubber (Merry & Bright from the Holiday mini) and use some of those coasters to make a Coaster Box. There are now five less coasters in my cabinet and one very cute coaster box ready for gift giving! Woo hoo!

Now I cannot take credit for this idea. There is a great Coaster Box tutuorial over at SplitCoastStampers that inspired me.

Some quick notes: After cutting the four 4" x 4" pieces of Wintergreen Designer Series Paper I used the small corner rounder to trim the corners. Which worked perfectly! The paper exactly matched the shape of the coasters... so no sanding or trimming needed. Then I ran the paper through my Zyron machine to coat with adhesive and adhered the paper to the coasters. This is a little quicker and less messy than using Modge Podge (but more expensive because you have to buy the machine and glue cartridges). I then sponged all four edges of each coaster with Blue Bayou Classic ink. Lastly I followed the tutorial and punched the binding holes with my Crop-a-Dile and used ribbon to attached the four coasters together. The bottom was adhered with E-6000 craft glue. E-6000 is really strong smelling... make sure your work area is well ventilated!

After all the assembly was done I pulled out my new Merry & Bright stamp set and got to work decorating the box. I stamped some images from the set onto Whisper White cardstock using Noir Palette Hybrid ink and colored using Blue Bayou, Wild Wasabi, Chocolate Chip and Close to Cocoa Classic ink pads and blender pens. Then I pulled out the Dazzling Diamonds glitter and my Sakura Quickie Glue Pen and added a little glitz to the images. They were then punched out using the 1 3/8" circle punch. Next, I stamped the Snowflakes stamp onto coordinating cardstock and punched them out with my scallop circle punch. Sponged some edges and layered everything together and adhered to the box with Stampin' Dimensionals. Whew, it is all done and beautiful. Now I need to make another one since this one was so much fun!

All images copyright Stampin' Up!. Supplies used: Merry & Bright stamp set; Wild Wasabi, Blue Bayou and Whisper White cardstock; Wintergreen Designer Series paper; Wild Wasabi, Blue Bayou, Chocolate Chip and Close to Cocoa Classic ink pads; Noir Palette Hybrid ink pad; Blender Pens; Stampin' Sponges; Dazzling Diamonds Glitter; Sakura Quickie Glue Pen; Blue Bayou and Soft Sky double-stitched ribbons; Stampin' Dimensionals; E-6000 Craft glue. Tools used: Crop-a-Dile, scallop circle punch, 1 3/8" circle punch; Zyron machine; small corner rounder.

1 comment:

  1. I love the Christmas boxes. I need to make some for craft shows. I have fallen in love with the wintergreen paper.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your sweet comments! I love hearing from you. :)