Sunday, December 16, 2007

The project: Ornaments for the Tree

It's time... to reveal the rather time consuming project that I have been working on for the last week whenever I had a few minutes. Or more appropriately the 24 little Christmas tree ornaments that added up to one big project :). So without further ado, here they are:

I made two sets of twelve blocks, the first of which uses Bravo Burgundy cardstock and Holiday Harmony paper for a vintage look.

How to make these ornaments, step by step:
1.) Acquire wood blocks: "Hey dad, got any scraps of wood lying around?" and "Can you cut me a bunch of little cubes?" works quite well. May require a bribe such as Peanut Butter Blossom Cookies.

2.) Lightly sand wood blocks as edges are razor sharp. This will reduce risk of injury when I drop one of these on my toes... I drop everything, why would these be different?

3.) Paint the wood blocks: change that, let's use the Varathane wood stain (Read Oak color) that I bought for another project that I never got around to doing. Sacrifice one old t-shirt to use as a stain rag. Commence staining... and more staining... realize plastic gloves would have been a good idea... scrub fingers and fingernails thoroughly when done.

4.) Decorate blocks with paper and four letter words... not those kind of words! Use winter/holiday words like: snow (very appropriate considering todays weather), Noel ('tis the season and all that), xmas (christmas was too many letters), joy* (the asterisk is a snow flake), gift (wonder what I am getting for Christmas), tree (beginning to run out of four letter words), star (really stretching at this point), wish (I was done, fingers are getting sore!).

5.) Screw an eye screw into the top and hang on tree. Just a note: hard wood can be difficult to screw. Hey, get your mind out of the gutter... talking about the wood from a tree here! Heh heh heh.

All images copyright Stampin' Up!. Stamps: Holiday Blitz, Typeset Lowercase Alphabet. Paper: Bravo Burgundy, Naturals White, Holiday Harmony Designer. Ink: Chocolate Chip, Always Artichoke, Bravo Burgundy. Other: small clear crystal brads, wood blocks, Stampin' dimensionals, small screw eyes, 1/16" circle handheld punch, 1" circle punch, 1 1/4" square punch, 1 3/8" square punch, wood stain.

Where did I get the idea for these cute ornaments? Gotta give credit to AJ at AJ's Willow Garden, she posted the cutest little ornament a while back that was my inspiration.

For the second set of ornaments I wheeled a sheet of Soft Sky with the So Swirly wheel in VersaMark ink and then heat embossed with Iridescent Ice embossing powder. Used the 1 1/4" square punch to cut oodles of squares which were then layered on 1 3/8" squares of Blue Bayou cardstock before being glued to the block. Again I used the Typeset alphabet to spell out a bunch of 3 and 4 letter words which were punched out with the 1" circle punch, sponged with Blue Bayou and then adhered to the wood blocks with dimensionals. Can't decide which set of ornaments I like best, so they are both going on the tree! :)

All images copyright Stampin' Up!. Stamps: Holiday Blitz, Typeset Lowercase Alphabet, So Swirly Jumbo wheel. Paper: Blue Bayou, Soft Sky, Naturals White. Ink: Chocolate Chip, Blue Bayou, VersMark. Other: Iridescent Ice embossing powder, Heat tool, small clear crystal brads, wood blocks, Stampin' dimensionals, small screw eyes, 1/16" circle handheld punch, 1" circle punch, 1 1/4" square punch, 1 3/8" square punch, wood stain.

5 comments:

  1. These ornaments are so incredibly cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, these are adorable and uber cute!!!!! Great job! Loved your descriptions :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. How beautiful! I enjoyed reading your instructions, too, funny!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fabulous!! I have a few more to make too! Thanks for reminding me!!
    They are so fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, I've fallen in love with your blog. I would like to add it to my blog. I hope that is all right!!! Your work is so precise and beautiful.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your sweet comments! I love hearing from you. :)