Monday, January 14, 2008

Sweet Sophia

I couldn't resist playing with more of the new stamps from Paper Pretties. This card uses the super sweet Sophia from the Need a Cuddle stamp set. I think it turned out cute... kind of reminds me of an oval picture frame mounted on a wall with a nameplate below it. Not sure if that is good or bad. :)

Quick notes: Little girl from Need a Cuddle was stamped on white cardstock and then colored with Watercolor Wonder Crayons and a blender pen before being cut out with the Coluzzle oval template. The next larger oval size was used to cut a piece of Night of Navy cardstock. Wish I had the Nestabilities but I don't so this will work for now. :) The edges of both ovals were distressed with the Distressor Tool and then the Night of Navy layer was paper pierced. A couple pieces of Close to Cocoa Prints Designer paper were layered on Chocolate Chip cardstock before a piece of Brocade Blue wide grosgrain was added. After which a second piece of ribbon (Chocolate Chip taffeta) was tied around the whole layer and knotted. At this point a sentiment was stamped and glammed up a bit and all of the pieces were adhered together and mounted on a Night of Navy card base.

All images copyright Paper Pretties. Stamps: Need a Cuddle. Paper: Night of Navy, Chocolate Chip, white, Close to Cocoa Prints Designer. Ink: Black. Other: Watercolor Wonder Crayons, blender pen, Coluzzle cutting system, mat pack, paper piercer, vintage brads, Brocade Blue wide grosgrain ribbon, Chocolate Chip taffeta ribbon, Stampin' dimensionals.

A Belt, a Kitchen Cabinet Door and the need for a Light Bulb
What happens when you combine the above three things and throw in a dash of klutziness? One seriously broken door. Only I could manage to somehow hook the back of my Belt around the door handle of one Cabinet Door while digging through another cabinet for a Light Bulb. Add in a little klutziness and take the Law of Gravity into account and the Cabinet Door never stood a chance of winning that situation... he he he.

Here's a picture of the door not too long after its meet up with my belt.

Oddly enough, I'm not upset by this at all. My first reaction was surprise that I managed to break the door and then a big dose of humor. Of course if you think the broken door is funny you should check out how I fixed it . Luckily I had some wood glue on hand... and it does exactly what the name says. But the key to wood glue being successful is that the parts you are gluing together have to be strongly secured together while the slow bonding process of the wood glue takes place. My first thought was to use Duct Tape (use #317) but I couldn't find the roll that I know I have somewhere in my house so on to plan B: twine and packing tape. First I liberally applied wood glue to the broken pieces of door, using a Q-Tip (good for more than pastel blending) to get the gooey stuff all over the little pieces and in the cracks. Next I used a piece of twine that I had leftover from the Haul 4'x8' Sheet of Plywood on Roof of Jeep Trip to tie the door back together. Finally I used a little packing tape around the top of the door... extra insurance just in case the cats couldn't resist the twine.

Kind of looks like a wrapped gift, doesn't it? LOL! Hopefully once I remove all the restraints the door will refrain from falling to pieces once again... hopefully. :)

P.S. I know this isn't a permanent fix but I'm not too worried about it... 'cause I've got a couple of woodworkers in the family and worst come to worst I hire 'em to make me a bunch of new cabinet doors. And wouldn't that be horrible? A face lift for my kitchen :).

7 comments:

  1. Beautiful card Danielle!! Love the colors! and of course Sophia! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful card! I love that image. Glad to hear that you were able to fix the door!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous card. I love the colors of it and image and sentiment is perfect together!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the card Danielle! I feel for you as you were trying to fix the cabinet door, looks like you got things under control:) TFS!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the cabinet story. Sounds like something I would do :) My clothes seem to get the bad end of the stick with cabinet knobs...ripped pockets especially. Guess the clothes give way before the cabinet has to. Love the wrapping job you did too :) Thanks for my morning chuckle -- through empathy of course!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats on an ingenious door fix! Will we be seeing you on Toolbelt Diva someday???

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful cards! I once knocked a closet door off the hinges by toppling into it! Luckily my landlord was a friend of the family and fixed it without complaints or charging me!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your sweet comments! I love hearing from you. :)