Monday, February 18, 2008

Box Full of Laughter

I have to admit that I have a large collection of tins, boxes, chipboard coasters, paint cans and other alterable items taking over my craft room. So many that I am running out of room to store my new stamp sets, but does that stop me from buying more fun things to alter? No, of course not! I just couldn't resist buying a couple of these wood purse bag things from Michael's the other day when I saw them (in the wood/paper mache aisle). I also had to buy some yummy new American Crafts ribbon while there (the striped and checked kind). Of course I justified these purchases by pushing aside all the other tins and paints cans cluttering my room and decorating one of my new toys. I'm loving how it turned out! Of course I did buy a second one... but that one will be saved for later (like the rest of my collection). :)

Directions:
1.) Trace box onto designer paper and cut out.
2.) Coat the box and the back of the designer paper with Perfect Paper Adhesive and apply the paper to the box pressing out all air bubbles. I did this one section at a time (front, back, inside back, inside front, right side and then finally the left side).
3.) Allow box and paper to dry.
4.) Using the Basic Grey Precision File Set sand the edges of the box. This removes any excess paper and gives the edges a nice distressed look.
5.) Coat the entire box with Perfect Paper Adhesive and set aside to dry.
6.) Decorate as desired. I knotted various ribbons around the handle and added a stamped image and sentiment to the front. Of course I also had to do some paper piercing and sponging. :)

All images copyright Stampin' Up. Stamps: Merci (Sale-a-Bration set), Sweet Serendipity. Paper: So Saffron, Tempting Turquoise, Naturals White, Certainly Celery, Bali Breeze Designer. Ink: Black StazOn, Tempting Turquoise. Other: Wood Bag (Michaels), vintage brads, Soft Sky double-stitched ribbon, Striped and Checked ribbon by American Crafts, Watercolor Wonder Crayons, blender pen, small corner rounder, Designer Label punch, Basic Grey Precision File Set, mat pack, paper piercer, Perfect Paper Adhesive, Stampin' dimensionals.

*** Edited to Add: Perfect Paper Adhesive is similar to Modge Podge. However it is not as strong smelling, leaves a very smooth barely noticeable finish (if using Matte) and cleans up easily with just a bit of warm water.

12 comments:

  1. TOO CUTE!! Now I want to run to Micheals!! Have a great Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful job on the box! I have altered these before but I have never done paper on the inside. It looks great! What's perfect paper adhesive? Is it like modpodge?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Adorable! Love the way you used the Bali Breeze paper with the Merci set. TFS:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very pretty! I like how you put that bali breeze dp on the inside to...just pops!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is fabulous!!! I want to run to Michael's and buy one now too. You did an awesome job - love the papers you used too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So cute. Very fun!
    Papering the inside looks challenging

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is adorable! I, too, will be off to Michaels to find these!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a wonderful piece of work....love the papers you've used :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very nice!!
    Now that I have seen what you did with this box am going to have not pass these up when I go to Michael's again.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh this is perfect! I just bought a box like this from Michael's yesterday! Beautiful work!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love this. I guess I am going to have to go to Michael's again and pick up a couple to play with.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, this turned out so cute! Love your colors and stamps used too!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your sweet comments! I love hearing from you. :)