Saturday, March 8, 2008

Cake Box

I finally finished decorating my little paper mache box that I picked up at Michael's a bit ago. I've been working on it off and on for the last week and I finally made myself sit down and finish it. Well... it is mostly finished... I just need to add some chocolate and actually give it to someone. :) Of course the dreaded Hoarding Compulsion is kicking in... most resist impulse to add little box to my already large collection... must...

failing...

ack!!!

Box Assembly
1.) Pieces of Ginger Blossom designer paper were cut to size and adhered to the paper mache box with Perfect Paper Adhesive (aka PPA).
2.) Once dry the edges were sanded (optional step... just gives the box a distressed look).
3.) Box was sealed by applying a topcoat of PPA over the entire box.
4.) The top was embellished with a piece of Whisper White grosgrain ribbon. The ends are hidden behind the ruby red cardstock (next step).

Sentiment & Mat Assembly:
4.) A piece of Ruby Red cardstock was cut and had the edges paper pierced, distressed and sponged with Classic ink of the same color.
5.) On top of the Ruby Red layer a smaller piece of Ginger Blossom Designer paper was adhered, but first it was distressed and sponged with Ruby Red Classic ink.
6.) Three Bravo Burgundy eyelets were set through both layers with the Crop-a-dile. I used the dots on the designer paper to determine placement of the eyelets (that made it easy!).
7.) Sentiment from One Smart Cookie was stamped in Black StazOn on Groovy Guava cardstock and cut out with the Word Window Punch. Edges were sponged with Ruby Red Classic ink before adhering the sentiment to the designer paper.
8.) The whole she-bang was adhered to the box with Stampin' dimensionals.

Flower Assembly:
9.) Stamped the large flower from One of a Kind twice on Whisper White cardstock.
10.) Watercolored with a blender pen and Ruby Red, Groovy Guava and River Rock Classic inks. Just a note: very little of the River Rock colored flower center is visible.
11.) Flowers were cut out.
12.) To make the flowers a bit more durable I coated them with VersaMark and Clear Embossing Powder and heat set.
13.) Old Olive Polytwill ribbon was knotted in Styled Silver ribbon slides and adhered to 1/2" circles of Ruby Red cardstock with Crystal Effects. Once dry these embellishments were adhered to the flower centers with Stampin' dimensionals.
14.) More dimensionals were used to adhere the flowers to the box. Yeah I used a lot of them in decorating the box, which is why I have to buy them in bulk from SU! (six packages on my last order!).

Here is a look at the box when it is open. As you will notice I did not decorate the inside of the paper mache box. I left it naked. :)

All images copyright Stampin' Up!. Stamps: One of a Kind, One Smart Cookie. Paper: Ruby Red, Groovy Guava, Whisper White, Ginger Blossom Designer. Ink: Black Stazon, Ruby Red Classic, Groovy Guava Classic, River Rock Classic, VersaMark. Other: Clear Embossing Powder, Rich Regals brads, Old Olive polytwill ribbon, Whisper White grosgrain, Styled Silver Hodgepodge Hardware, Word Window punch, 1/2" circle punch, Crop-a-dile, heat tool, mat pack, paper piercer, blender pen, sponge, sanding block, distressing tool, Perfect Paper Adhesive, Crystal Effects, paper mache box (Michael's).

7 comments:

  1. This box is B E A U T I F U L!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just love how you layered those flowers, what a great box!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous box! Fantastic job on altering it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the box! I would have a really hard time giving it away!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful! All the work to make it a durable keepsake has made it just shine! Fantastic colours and gorgeous design! Michael's here I come!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The box is very sweet. Thanks for the instructions. I hope to try this out in the morning.

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOVE IT! You are so incredible! Thank you for sharing! kt

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your sweet comments! I love hearing from you. :)