Sunday, March 23, 2008

No, I don't want my photo taken!

I have a huge pile of pictures from a trip that I took last year to Europe that have been begging to be scrapbooked. Did I scrapbook them? No, instead I picked a couple of them and made a wall hanging. Yup, I've procrastinated my scrapbooking yet again by making this oh-so-cool project (he he he). Although I don't think I am going to keep it, instead I will send it to my friend Cammy so she will have another memento of the trip. Besides, if I give away this one I can put off the scrapbook by making another wall hanging for myself.

BTW - this hanging was not the easiest project to photograph since it is quite long (16 inches not including the hanging string) but I managed. :)

There are 3 panels to this particular wall hanging but you could do more or less. The base of each panel is a 5" x 7" piece of white backing board that I picked up at ClearBags.com. The item # for the exact board I used is BACA5. This board is very thick and sturdy... my jumbo eyelets barely fit through the board. Each panel was covered with Sentimental Journey Designer paper from SU! which sadly is retired. But since it matches the trip journal I made last year I went ahead and used it to cover each of the panels. I used my Zyron to coat the paper and adhere it to the backing board and then sanded the edges with the Basic Grey Precision File set to distress the edges and remove any excess paper overhanging the edges.

Panel 1 Notes: The main title was created with letters from the On Board Loads of Letters chipboard set. Each letter was coated with Ballet Blue Craft ink, dipped in Iridescent Ice embossing powder and heat set. The picture was layered on Old Olive and a short description was stamped in Chocolate Chip Classic ink on Bordering Blue using the Rough Edges Mini Alphabet (the '07 was added with a black marker), sponged with Chocolate Chip and affixed to the main image. Picture was then adhered to the panel with dimensionals.

Panel 2 notes: The main image was layered on Ruby Red cardstock and then layered on a longer but shorter piece of Creamy Carmel cardstock (edges were sponged with Chocolate Chip first). A description was written in black marker on the right side and I used some of the rub-ons from the Sale-a-bration set on the left side. Again the matted photo was mounted on the panel with dimensional tape. Oh... hi woolly mammoth statue! Hi Cammy!

Panel 3 notes: the final image was layered on Ballet Blue and adhered to the panel with more dimensional tape. A little title was stamped/written in Chocolate Chip and a black marker on River Rock cardstock, sponged and matted with Chocolate Chip and then adhered to the panel. This was the easiest panel and I really like the mixing of the stamped and handwritten words. :) Title says "Cool spot on a hot day."

This final picture is a closeup of the fasteners that I used to hold the panels together. Each panel had jumbo eyelets added to the top and bottom as appropriate and then the panels were connected together with 1" book rings (aka ring binder). To make the rings prettier I tied a bunch of ribbon scraps on each one. Most of the ribbon is from Stampin' Up! but there are a few pieces by other companies (Michael's and May Arts).

To actually hang this project I made two loops with hemp twine and attached them through the top two book rings on the first panel and then connected them together with yet another book ring. You can then just hang this final (not pictured) ring on a nail. And yes, I covered that ring with more ribbon... I made quite the dent in my ribbon scraps with this project!

Now you know what I have been working on the last couple days. Well... and a few cards but I haven't taken pictures of those yet so I'll share those another day. :)

All images copyright Stampin' Up!. Stamps: Rough Edges Mini Alphabet. Paper: Old Olive, Bordering Blue, Ruby Red, Creamy Caramel, Brocade Blue, River Rock, Chocolate Chip, Sentimental Journey Designer (retired). Ink: Ballet Blue Craft, Chocolate Chip Classic, black marker. Other: rub-ons from Sale-a-Bration mini, dimensional tape, sponge, book rings (7 are needed), Antique Brass jumbo eyelets (10 of them), hemp twine, various ribbons, crop-a-dile, 5" x 7" backing board (3), Basic Grey Precision File Set.

7 comments:

  1. Impressive!! Please tell me that is not a real elephant! Yikes!
    :) Just joshing - that is really an awesome project, though! TFS!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it!! What a very nice keepsake of your adventurous trip. TFS:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic wall hanging! You know what would make it even better? Scrapbook pages to go with it. LOL *grin*

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my goodness! This is wonderful! I don't scrapbook but this is something I'd like to try! Fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's awesome!! When in 07 where you in Barcelona? We were over there in April last year! :-) LOVED it!!! You are inspiring me to get some of my photos onto paper and out of this computer!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this idea and it looks great! I procrastinate my scrapping as well... I have a trip that I need to do, maybe I'll copy your idea and do a wall hanging!:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really like how these turned out! I love your work :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your sweet comments! I love hearing from you. :)