Thursday, July 17, 2008

The weather outside is... hot!

So turn the air conditioning up and cozy in with a comfy quilt. Or if you would rather save a little on the electric bill, how about a virtual quilt? This weeks Paper Pretties Forum Challenge is to use this pretty quilt from House of Quilts as inspiration for your project. You can use the colors, layout, patterns... whatever inspires you!

I did pick out several colors from the image as a starting place but feel free to use different ones. Of course I did this after I made my card and realized there wasn't really that much yellow in the quilt. Apparently my attention span is very short. Next time I'll have to write the colors down first. :)

How does the Paper Pretties' challenge work? Make a card, scrapbook page, altered item or so forth using Paper Pretties stamps if you have them. If you don't have Paper Pretties' stamps, still feel free to join in the fun... the more the merrier! :) Then visit the Paper Pretties' gallery and upload a picture of your project to the Weekly Challenges category (also use the keyword PWC12 - aids in searching). You have until the following Thursday to upload your picture to the gallery to be entered into the contest to earn a little something something from the Paper Pretties' Boutique.

But you probably want to see the card I made, so here it is. Yeah... the yellow doesn't quite match the inspiration piece but I like it. So besides the colors from the picture I also liked the idea of using lots of squares. So much that I actually built my very own mini quilt!

First step was to stamp a bunch of different colors of cardstock. I used the SU! Solitude wheel and Sahara Sand Classic ink. Then I punched out a bunch of squares using the 3/4" square punch. I sponged all of the edges with Close to Cocoa classic ink and adhered to a Sahara Sand mat. I poked a hole in each corner of each square as well as the center. Next I squeezed teeny tiny dots of Crystal Effects over each one and let dry. To finish this layer a piece of wide stain Chocolate Chip ribbon was added.

The second step was to add a focal point. To do this I stamped the jars from Sweets for the Sweet on Georgia Pacific white cardstock with Memento Tuxedo Black ink. The image was colored with Copic markers and a touch of glitter added with a Melon Spica pen. To finish mat this on a piece of Sage Shadow that had been sponged with more Close to Cocoa Classic ink.

The third and final step was to assemble the card and add a sentiment. The finished card is 5" x 5". Yeah - it was easy as that. :)

Stamps: Sweets for the Sweet (Paper Pretties), Solitude Wheel (SU! hostess). Paper: So Saffron, Sahara Sand, Brocade Blue, Sage Shadow, Close to Cocoa, Georgia Pacific white. Ink: Memento Tuxedo Black, Copic markers (0, W1, W2, YG91, G21, BG93), Melon Spica Pen (Copic), Sahara Sand Classic, Close to Cocoa Classic. Other: wide Chocolate Chip satin ribbon, Crystal Effects, paper piercer, 3/4" square punch, dimensionals, sponge.

14 comments:

  1. This is a great card. I like the yellow in it. It makes the colors more bold than a lighter color would. I'm glad you can't follow directions ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an awesome challenge and I LOVE this card!! Fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  3. this is FABULOUS, love the rich colors you used!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fantastic card Danielle...and the challenge piece is wonderful! Can't wait to try it out myself!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMGosh Danielle, I totally want to be you when I grow up!! This is fantastic!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I absolutly love!!! your virtual quilt. I love the colors and the crystal effects on the centers. I really do not have anything on this card that I did not like. Love it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the inspiration piece and I'll try to play your challenge tonight.

    Your card is adorable - love the layout and the way you used jars as your focal point!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great card. Love all the details on the squares and how you adhered the main image on an angle.

    ReplyDelete
  9. WOW, gorgeous, Danielle! I LOVE all of those blocks!

    ReplyDelete
  10. WOW, gorgeous Danielle. . and I LOVE all of those blocks!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow! A lot of effort paid off! It's beautiful- in fact, more beautiful than that inspiration piece! Great Job!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fabulous card Danielle... such detail, fun and rewarding!! Michelle :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I did it! YIPPEE! I love your card, the colors are wonderful! And I even got it posted in the gallery. WOOHOO!

    ReplyDelete
  14. wow! gosh danielle, you r killing me with your creativity!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your sweet comments! I love hearing from you. :)