Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Pretties Wednesday: A Mini Album Gone Big

Two weeks ago Joni (the fabulous illustrator for Paper Pretties) challenged the Prettie Girls to make a mini album. Well... mine ended up a bit larger than I originally intended. Is 5" x 7" still mini? :)

I decided to go with a calender theme with each page being one month of the year. I've only completed about half of the book so I have a little work left to do. You'll just have to imagine the last eight months of the year... :)

First up is the cover: I kept it very simple and just covered with Cloud 9 Designer paper (I use this on each of the following pages) and added a bit of Pink Pirouette striped ribbon and the year (pink foam Thickers by American Crafts).

January: each month I used a different Sophia or Cooper stamp. The image was inked with Memento Tuxedo Black, stamped on Georgia Pacific White and colored with Copics. I used a free calender program from Red Castle to print the little monthly calenders. I softened the calender squares by either airbrushing with a Copic marker or sponging on Classic ink (my air can ran out!).

Supplies: Cuddle Me Sophia. Paper: Basic Gray, Riding Hood Red, River Rock, Georgia Pacific white, Chocolate Chalet Designer (Cloud 9). Ink: Copic markers, Memento Tuxedo Black. Other: green buttons, Real Red brads, River Rock double-stitched ribbon, mat pack, paper piercer, dimensionals.

February: For this Sophia I added a bit of Crystal Effects to her umbrella, hat and boots after coloring with Copic markers. Instead of accenting with buttons I used a couple of Prima flowers... they were sitting next to the buttons collecting dust. :)

Supplies: Rainy Day Friends. Paper: Basic Gray, Mellow Moss, Bashful Blue, Georgia Pacific white, Chocolate Chalet Designer (Cloud 9). Ink: Copic markers, Memento Tuxedo Black. Other: Prima flowers, Brocade Blue brads, Bashful Blue taffeta ribbon, mat pack, paper piercer, dimensionals, Crystal Effects.

March: Same layout as the prior pages I just flipped it so that Sophia is on the right side. I'm planning on using the same layout on every page to give a consistent feel to the calender. For accents I used some of the new Felt Fusion Too flowers from Stampin' Up! and the delicious Riding Hood Red taffeta ribbon.

Supplies: Flutter By Sophia. Paper: Basic Gray, Riding Hood Red, Tangerine Tango, Georgia Pacific white, Chocolate Chalet Designer (Cloud 9). Ink: Copic markers, Memento Tuxedo Black. Other: Felt Fusion Flowers II, Real Red brads, Riding Hood Red taffeta ribbon, mat pack, paper piercer, dimensionals.

April: It's a Cooper page!!! Yup, Sophia has to share the limelight with her little brother. Instead of airbrushing the calender page I applied some Classic ink with a sponge. I really really need to invest in the Airbrush Adapter so I can use my air compressor instead of those tiny little cans!

Supplies: Look Out World. Paper: Basic Gray, Bashful Blue, Mellow Moss, Georgia Pacific white, Chocolate Chalet Designer (Cloud 9). Ink: Copic markers, Memento Tuxedo Black, Mellow Moss Classic. Other: blue buttons, Brocade Blue brads, Old Olive poly-twill ribbon, mat pack, paper piercer, dimensionals.

So what do you think? Is it a keeper? Actually I just check the challenge list and this one will be making its way to Christie as soon as I finish it. Hope she likes it. :)

But I might need a larger box to mail it in. After only completing five pages it is quite bulky. PS: I also used super thick board for the cover and back which allows the book to stand upright on its own. To bind the album together I used a Bind-it-All and black 1" O-wires.

14 comments:

  1. wow! Danielle, this is fabulous. who cares what size it is. I love how you used a different image on each month and it is all embellished so beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh boy this is fabulous!!!! Lucky person who gets this!! :) Great job Danielle! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh! You went ALL OUT! Christie will LOVE it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh this is over the top fab!!! Christie will love it and I'm sure will cherish it for years to come...just amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Danielle this is amazing! It is really gorgeous, Christie is going to go crazy!:-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my! This is soooo cute! I must case this! TFS!

    ReplyDelete
  7. OMGosh, how unbelievable!! I love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Holy cannoli girl!! This is AWESOME!!! What a treasure for the lucky person that get this!!!!! WOW!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such a nice idea! Looking good!

    Kind regards, Renata

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've already told you how much I love this project :) but here's the link to my blog:

    http://quick2blush.blogspot.com/2008/08/not-so-mini-album.html

    I did a post about your mini calendar.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is UNBELIEVABLY adorable! I may have to steal that. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. i love love love the calendars.
    great work.
    i just nominated you for the brillante award, go to my blog for more details ;)

    Martha

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love this idea. What a great gift for someone.

    Charmaine

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm a lil' late in posting a comment lol...but this calendar is adorable!!! I think the size is great...not too small....not too big :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your sweet comments! I love hearing from you. :)