Friday, August 8, 2008

Sock Monkey without the Monkey?

Whatever was I thinking? I made a Sock Monkey card and didn't use the monkey! Okay, maybe I was thinking that the cupcake was really delicious and just had to be all on it's own. 'Cause sometimes you just need a cupcake, right?

This card was actually one that I made for an organized GSG swap at convention. Although I did make a few extras and swapped them during general swapping. I kept getting the comment "and you SEWED on it?!" from people who then looked at me like I was crazy. Needless to say, I didn't mention that I sewed on the cards while talking on the phone with a friend. :D

Quick notes: For the background layer I cut a couple strips of designer paper and added a curved edge with my paper snips (nope - I did not use a template so each card was slightly different). The two strips were then adhered to a Riding Hood Red cardstock piece and then zig zag sewing was added on the inside edges. I colored the cupcake with markers and a blender pen and added a bit of Dazzling Diamonds glitter to highlight the frosting. On the top right of the background mat I added a jumbo eyelet through which the taffeta ribbon was threaded and then knotted. Around the knot I tied a sentiment with linen thread. I think the rest is self-explanatory but if not just shoot me an email. :)

All images copyright Stampin' Up!. Stamps: Sock Monkey. Paper: Sahara Sand, Riding Hood Red, Close to Cocoa, Whisper White, Bella Rose Designer. Ink: Black StazOn, Pretty in Pink, Creamy Caramel, Ruby Red and Summer Sun markers. Other: white thread, sewing machine, Dazzling Diamonds glitter, blender pen, mat pack, paper piercer, Antique Brass jumbo eyelet, 1/4" circle punch, 1/16" circle punch, small oval punch, vintage brads, Chocolate Chip taffeta ribbon, dimensionals.

6 comments:

  1. That layout is awesome!! Gorgeous card!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This card is tantastic. The colors, the cute little cupcake, the sewing (i love to sew on cards) I may add this to my 'to be CASEd' file.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Michelle YungbauerAugust 8, 2008 at 11:00 PM

    Love the card... the sewing adds so much! Hope you are feeling better and getting rid of the cold. Have a super great weekend! Michelle :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love it and am so glad to say I have one IRL! It is a beautiful card, Danielle. I'm so glad we hung out at Convention-it was a blast and you are one cool girl!

    ReplyDelete
  5. somehow I missed getting to swap with you when the GSG got together :(
    At least we got our picture together!
    -Jamie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great layout and beautiful card!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your sweet comments! I love hearing from you. :)