Friday, November 7, 2008

Functional Friday

I thought I would share something functional today - a card organizer. You could also use it to organize monthly payments/bills but really we wouldn't want to do that to something so pretty, would we? :)

I purchased a bunch of these paper-mache card organizers this summer at a US Art Quest yard sale and I just finally decorated the first one! I have five more in my stash* of things to alter. *Stash - otherwise known as a whole corner of my craft room filled with tins, coasters, boxes and various other objects that I purchased intending to decorate. The stash has been known to overwhelm and devour the unwary. Approach with extreme caution!

I covered the card organizer with Maine Blueberry designer paper, adhering it in place with Perfect Paper Adhesive (like Mod Podge just not as aromatic). Once dry I used a sanding file to remove the extra paper from the edges and to add a bit of distressing. I then sponged Chocolate Chip Classic ink on all of the corners and edges.

To decorate the box I inked the label image from Sweet Celebrations with Chocolate Chip and Bashful Blue ink and stamped on Kraft paper. I trimmed the label with my scissors and sponged the edges with more Chocolate Chip Classic ink. "Warm Wishes" was stamped in Not Quite Navy along the bottom dotted line. I sewed a button and felt flurry onto the label with some linen thread. This was then adhered to the organizer with dimensionals after knotting a piece of Alpine felt ribbon around the box.


Here is a picture of the organizer filled with some stamping goodness. Hmm... I think I need to decorate a few more of these, fill with cards and give out as Christmas gifts. :)

All images copyright Stampin' Up!. Stamps: Hugs & Wishes, Sweet Celebrations. Paper: Kraft, Maine Blueberry designer. Ink: Chocolate Chip Classic, Not Quite Navy Classic, Bashful Blue marker. Other: Little Felt Flurries, Neutral Buttons, Alpine Originals ribbon, linen thread, dimensionals, sponge, sanding file, Perfect Paper Adhesive (USArtQuest), paper mache.

11 comments:

  1. Wow! This is fantastic!! If you need someone to take this off of your hands I will gladly do so! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great idea! Gorgeous! You are right who would want to put bills in something so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is absolutely amazing Danielle! I LOVE IT!!! Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this! What a nice Christmas card holder!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this!! That Maine Blueberry is some of my favorite paper! Might have to stock up on it if it's retiring here soon.

    Gonna have to look for something like this and alter one myself! Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow. This is really great. Love how this shows such wonderful talent. Thanks
    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  7. Loook at the colourssss!!!! WOW

    There is a guessing game on my blog. Please come and play!
    You can invite others too!
    VIBGYOR Krafts

    ReplyDelete
  8. If you're in the market for a new friend, I would love to have one of these boxes! LOL. What a beautiful job you did on this -- love it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wowie! this is just BEAUTIFUL! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very functional idea! Love the SU! felt ribbon and felt flurries is my WOW.... Smiles! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. this is absolutely amazing!!!
    xoxo BA

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your sweet comments! I love hearing from you. :)