Monday, November 3, 2008

Recycling Made Pretty

A couple of weeks ago I was cleaning out my fridge and decided it was time to toss a jar of maraschino cheeries that had been in there a really long time. Were talking years here - can you tell I'm not fond of them? LOL! I'm pretty sure I bought them for some event or another and then stuck them in a far corner of the fridge to be forgotten except on the random occasions that I decide to actually organize the condiment shelf. Oddly enough there was no expiration date on the jar and they seemed perfectly fine - which makes you kind of wonder doesn't it? :)

I was about to throw the whole jar in the garbage when I realized the jar is kind of neat. So I drained the juice out, tossed the cherries into the garbage and stuck the jar in my dishwasher for a washing. The dishwashing even took care of peeling the label off the jar. Although I then had to pick that up from the bottom of my dishwasher - kinda gross! Only problem is that the jar still smells a bit like cherries - anyone know how to get rid of that scent? Not that it is horrible and the smell of the Tootsie Roll candies more than compensates!

This last weekend I actually spent a bit of time decorating the glass jar. I went with a Chocolate Chip, Kraft and Riding Hood Red color theme. Hmmm... methinks the cherry smell might have been an influencing factor!

A 3" x 8 1/2" strip of Chocolate Chip Patters designer paper was adhered to the outside of the jar. A piece of grosgrain wide ribbon was knotted around the bottom (nice lip there that keeps the ribbon from sliding off). To accent the snowflake from Season of Friendship was stamped in VersaMark on Kraft and then heat embossed with Winter White embossing powder. I then punched it out (1" circle punch) and adhered above the ribbon knot with dimensionals. Along the base of the jar I applied a rubon from the Season of Cheer set.

To finish the jar I decorated the top. Used a Nestabilitie die to cut and emboss the Kraft circle (my coluzzle template was just not the right size). I then added paper piercing and adhered to the lid. Next I applied another rubon from the same set as above to Riding Hood Red cardstock and punched out (1 3/8" circle punch). This was then adhered (more dimensionals) to a piece of Chocolate Chip cardstock that had been cut with the Scallop Circle punch. Through both of these layers I punch a hole and added a red crystal brad. More dimensionals were sacrificed in the adhering of this final piece to the jar. Oh forgot to mention - I did add a piece of Chocolate Chip grosgrain ribbon around the outside edge of the lid to cover up some text.

I think it turned out cute! I think someone will enjoy receiving this despite the lingering cherry smell! :)

All images copyright Stampin' Up!. Stamps: Season of Friendship (Holiday Mini Catalog). Paper: Kraft, Chocolate Chip, Riding Hood Red, Chocolate Chip Patterns designer. Ink: VersaMark. Other: Winter White embossing powder, Season of Cheer rubons (Holiday Mini Catalog), scallop circle punch, 1 3/8" circle punch, 1" circle punch, Nestabilities circles (SpellBinder), red crystal brad (Making Memories), mat pack, paper piercer, Chocolate Chip Grosgrain ribbon, Riding Hood Red/Very Vanilla striped grosgrain ribbon, jar, dimensionals.

8 comments:

  1. This is really cool! I love the rich colors.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it is pretty cute also. I would appreciate it as a gift.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is gorgeous!! One of my favorite color combos!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful gift, the colours are great together. For the lasting smell, you need to fill the jar with hot water and some vinegar or lemon juice, turn it upside down so the plastic bit under the lid gets wet. Leave it like this overnight and it should take away lots of the odour.
    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the jar colour is great.
    Mix about 1 tablespoon of baking soda & water in the jar (1/2 of the jar with water).Shake to mix but not to vigorously as it builds a little pressure in the jar. Let it stand overnight & the odour should disappear. Baking soda works to rid the fridge of smells. Why not cherry smells.
    Good luck,

    Barb Nesplic

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is soooo pretty! I love the colors!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your sweet comments! I love hearing from you. :)