Saturday, February 7, 2009

Mermaid Food

Have you seen the Paper Dolls stamp set from MFT Stamps? It is just the cutest! I've had the set for a couple weeks and decided today was the day to play with it! Of course the fact that there is another Guest Designer challenge had nothing at all to do with my decision. Nope, not at all! :) Even if the challenge is to use any combination of the following colors: pink, black, white, gray or brown. I'm telling ya that it is pure coincidence that my mermaid food box uses those colors. LOL!

The box is 6 1/4" tall by 4". It has two 3"x4" drawers inside of it which are filled with Ghirardelli Chocolate (Caramel filled and mint).

For the front I stamped the little girl and the mermaid tail seperately and colored with Copic Markers. I then painted the tail, bikini top and flower with Pearlescent Watercolors... sweet shimmering fish! To accent the box I used some yummy pink/black/gray designer papers from Making Memories. Keep reading for more details... otherwise just skip to the end for the ingredients list. :)

With the drawers opened. You can open both at the same time or just one. Use the little ribbon pulls on the end of the drawer to pull it out from the box. I built *drawer slides* into the bottoms of the drawers so that they can pull out a little over halfway and then they stop. It took a lot of fussing to get it to work but I managed! :)

Front of the box. Here you can see the shimmer better on her tail and flower. Umm... and you can also see my upside down fish... guess who wasn't paying attention when she adhered the mermaid! By the time I noticed it was too late. I had already sewn the button on and added the brads. Oopsie! :) Just adds character, right?

For the ribbon I used the slot punch to cut a hole in the top layers of cardstock so I could thread the ribbon through and knot.

Empty Drawer. When building the drawer I punched a hole with my Big Bite Crop-a-dile and set a jumbo eyelet. I threaded a ribbon loop through the opening. Then the ends were adhered to the inside of the drawer. The inside is covered by more Pink Pirouette cardstock so you don't see either the ribbon ends or the drawer slide mechanism (not so pretty!).

After assembling the drawers I lined them with more of the pretty designer paper and then edged the top of the drawer with more of the black ribbon.

Hope you enjoyed the box! Now I just need to decide what to do with it. Maybe send it to my niece who was not impressed with my prior post that pictured her on a scrapbook page. I've heard through the grapevine (aka my mom) that she thinks I'm *evil*. Heh heh heh. Think she would consider this an appropriate bribe for forgiveness?! :)

Stamps: Stephanie Fizer - Paper Dolls (MFT), Rough Edges Mini Alphabet. Paper: Pink Pirouette, Basic Black, PTI white, Sabrina 6"x6" paper pad (Making Memories). Ink: Memento Tuxedo Black, Pink Pirouette Classic, Copic markers. Other: Pearlescent Watercolors, clear flower (Heidi Swapp), Wassail Red Button (Basic Grey), Black Satin ribbon (PTI), linen thread, silver brads, mat pack, paper piercer, antique brass jumbo eyelets, dimensionals, slot punch, Crop-a-dile, Scalloped edge punch, large oval punch, AquaPainter.

7 comments:

  1. I think it is fabulous, and if you were bribe-ing ME with it, you would totally be off the hook!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh-this is too cute-I would love to have this on my desk at work :-)-Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW, this is adorable!!! such a creative idea, I love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is adorable, I would love to know how you did the drawer slides inside, do you have picture? Are you willing to share?
    Thanks,Tammy
    v_gal33@yahoo.ca

    ReplyDelete
  5. this is cute & pretty love it
    Hugs
    Norine

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just fell in love with your design for this week. Awesome work!! Chris

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your box! So cute! I would like to try one too!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your sweet comments! I love hearing from you. :)