Saturday, March 14, 2009

Mermaid Box Tutorial

A little over a month ago I made this cute little Mermaid Box and since then I've had a few requests for the details on how I built it! It only took me a month but I have the instructions and a step by step tutorial done! Woot! Although I must caution you that this is a very long blog post... but with lots of pictures! :)

Since it is going to be a long post I will get on with it! However if you are not interested in the instructions... scroll all the way to the bottom so see my new version of the box! It's purty!

Step 1: Download the Mermaid Box Pdf I have created with diagrams of all the parts.

Step 2: Cut out two drawers, one drawer slider, two covers for the bottoms of your drawers and the box cover. Score and fold the drawers so that they look like the above. You should also make the incision into the back and the openings in the bottom of both drawers at this point. I made a boo boo and forgot to do mine until later... not fatal... just made making the cuts really awkward! :)

Step 3: Punch a hole in the front panel of your drawer. I set a jumbo eyelet in the hole. You don't have to but it does look nice!

Step 4: Fold a piece of ribbon in half and thread through the opening so that both ends are on the inside and a loop is now poking out the front of the box. That is your drawer pull!

Step 5: Adhere the ends of the ribbon to the inside of the drawer. This will be covered by the drawer liner (that piece at the top) in a later step.

Step 6: If you made your incisions into the drawer at the beginning this is what the bottom of your drawer should look like at this point. If you were like me and didn't... well now is the time!

Step 7: Punch a hole into each corner of your drawer slider. The pdf I shared is to scale so you can use that as a guide. Then reinforce the holes. I used jumbo eyelets for this box. The first one I made I used some small flat washers I bought at a hardware store.

Step 8: Insert the drawer slider into one of the drawers through the slit that was cut into the back of the drawer. Thread a piece of thin ribbon or string through the openings of the drawer slider and the openings in the bottom of the drawer. I used a thin gingham ribbon that when knotted wouldn't be too bulky.

Step 9: Flip the drawer over and knot the ends of the ribbon together. Leave them a bit loose. If tied too tightly the drawer will catch.

Step 10: Repeat the same process for the second drawer. This is what your drawers should look like at this point.

Step 11: Place adhesive on the drawer and drawer liner as shown above. It's a little difficult to see but I also added some to the back of the tabs. Adhere tabs to the back and the front of the inside of the drawer. Flip the drawer liner into the drawer and adhere. Do NOT adhere to the bottom of the drawer... that will keep your slider mechanism from working. :)

Step 12: Adhere the last flap into place. This last flap was added to make the back of the drawer extra sturdy.

Step 13: Assemble the second drawer. You should end up with something that looks like this.

FYI: This is what the bottom looks like after finishing... not too pretty which is why I added the next step! ;)

Step 14: Flip your assembled drawers over and cover the slide mechanism on each drawer with a piece of cardstock. Use foam dimensionals to adhere the cardstock in place. Make sure to place the dimensionals so that they do not interfere with the slide.


Step 15: At this point your drawers are finished being assembled and are ready for decoration. For mine I just added some pretty embossed paper. Oh-la-la! :)

Step 16: The second to last step of assembly is to attach your drawers to the box cover. Fully extend the drawers and then center them (height-wise) over the bottom of the cover - lining the right edges of the drawers with the scored line. Then poke a hole through the cover and drawer slide and fasten a brad. This will hold the drawers to the cover so that you cannot pull the drawers all the way out of the box! :)

Step 17: Adhere the cover closed! Ha - and you thought it would never be finished!

Step 18: Decorate your box! For mine I used the soon to be released SU! set Great Friends, more of the sparkly embossed paper and the fun Dotted Wave edger punch.

Step 19: The last and final step... fill your box with some yummy goodies! I used an assortment of Dove chocolates. If you made it this far you probably deserve some chocolates yourself! One for the box... one for me... another for me and one for the box! LOL!

Hope you enjoyed the tutorial! If you make one of these boxes be sure and let me know! I'd love to see them! :)


* Just a note - the provided Pdf for the Mermaid Box is for personal use only. Please do not distribute or use it with intent to profit. If you would like to use it for teaching a class or such please email me.

All images copyright Stampin' Up!. Stamps: Great Friends. Paper: Old Olive, Old Olive textured, Pacific Point, Baja Breeze, Chocolate Chip, PTI Select White, Nurery Rhyme designer (DCWV). Ink: Kiwi Kiss Classic, Baja Breeze Classic, Memento Tuxedo Black, Old Olive Classic. Other: Pacific Point striped ribbon, Creamy Caramel gingham, antique brass jumbo eyelets, mat pack, paper piercer, brads (Basic Grey), Dazzling Diamonds glitter, dimensionals, Dotted Wave edger punch (EK Success), Alpine Originals felt ribbon (SU! retired).

6 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for sharing how you made this adorable box. I will let you know what I make with it.
    Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for sharing this tutorial, Danielle!

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW! Amazing!
    I may have to attempt to make one of these. Such a cool box!
    thanks for sharing your creativity.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a super cute box of goodies! Thanks for the great tutorial on how you created this masterpiece. I can see by your picture that you know what good quality goodies to put inside this beauty.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks so much for taking the time to make this tutorial! So cute for sure!!... I just received my SU! Mini-catty in the mail today so see all the AWESOME stamp sets... and this set is one of my FAVS!! Smiles--- :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. hello. it looks really amazing!

    it looks rather difficult to make it though. anyhow, i would like to give it a try but the pdf with model is not available anymore.

    would you consider to share it again? it would be really great!

    have a nice day.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your sweet comments! I love hearing from you. :)