Thursday, April 9, 2009

Pretties Thursday Challenge: Wonderfully Woven!

Are you ready for another Paper Pretties challenge? Yes?! I thought so! This week the challenge is to work weaving into your project some way some how. Huh?! You are not sure what to do for this one? Well, I have a bunch of ideas to get you started:

  1. Paper Weaving - weave some strips of paper (or ribbon) together to create a woven mat and use as a background.
  2. How about making your own basket? SplitCoast has some great tutorials on woven baskets that you can see here and here.
  3. Fill a woven basket with some goodies and add a decorated tag... yup this counts! :)
  4. Have a funky woven ribbon? That works too! :)

How to Enter the challenge: make a project that incorporates some kind of weaving and any Paper Pretties stamp set(s). Upload the card to the Paper Pretties gallery. Please include it in the Weekly Challenges category and use keyword PWC47.

Deadline: midnight on Wednesday, April 15th.

Prize*: $5.00 coupon to the Paper Pretties Boutique.

The winner will be randomly selected from among the qualifying entrants and announced after the contest has ended.

For my project I wove a couple mats together and used them to decorate a little goodie bag (sadly I am lacking in candy to fill it with at the moment).

Notes on the paper weaving for my bag: I cut 10 strips of 3/4" x 4 1/8" cardstock - five of which were cut from Bashful Blue and the other five from Brocade Blue. I sponged the edges of all the strips with Not Quite Navy Classic ink. I then wove the pieces together aligning the ends and corner pieces. I tacked the topmost ends of the strips in place with Glue Dots. I then added some extra stick adhesive to the back and layered the woven mat to a 4 1/4" square of Chocolate Chip. I repeated the above steps to create a second woven mat that is used for the back of the bag. The handles are two 3/4" x 11" pieces of Chocolate Chip cardstock. I also created a 2" (deep) x 4" (high) x 4" wide bag from more brocade blue cardstock. The woven mats were decorated as necessary and then attached to the bag with Sticky Strip (attach the handles first).

Here is the back of the bag. I didn't add any other decorations to this side so you can really see the weaving in all of its glory. :)

All images coyright Paper Pretties. Stamps: Make a Splash Sophia. Paper: Bashful Blue, Brocade Blue, Chocolate Chip, PTI Select White. Ink: black, Copic markers, Not Quite Navy Classic. Other: December Sky Blingz, Angel Wings Shimmerz, brads (Basic Grey), White Satin ribbon, 1" Bashful Blue double stitched ribbon, Circle and Petite Scalloped Circle Nesties, dimensionals.

4 comments:

  1. Holy FABULOUSO Danielle! This is MAGNIFICENT!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is WHOA Danielle!! This will definitely be a challenge for me but I'm up for it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Magnificent is right!! This is GORGEOUS!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your sweet comments! I love hearing from you. :)