Saturday, June 27, 2009

It's for the Birds!

A month or so ago I bought a little wooden birdhouse from Joann's with the intention of decorating it and gifting it to my SIL (her and my brother just bought a house) as a house warming gift... hopefully she isn't reading this post! Since they closed on the house last week I decided I better
finish the project as soon as possible. So I did... late last night. :)
The birdhouse came unfinished so I quickly painted it white and let it dry. After that came the decorating and a whole lotta paper punching and finally the finished project! :)
Front of the birdhouse - here you can really see the distressing that I added to the painted birdhouse with Vintage Photo distressing ink (I sanded the edges first with a sanding block). I also added a lot of bling to this project... I think I might have used a whole package. LOL!

Closeup of the decorations on the front - I punched a couple of hearts and stamped the Home Sweet Home sentiment on a scrap of the red designer paper. I used a button to hold the hearts together and distressed all of the pieces and sprayed them with Patina Glimmer Mist. To finish I tied a piece of ribbon around the birdhouse and added yet more bling.

Closeup of the roof - I cut 1 3/4" strips of patterned paper (a think double sided kind) and scalloped the bottom edge of all pieces with an edger punch. I then sponged Vintage Photo ink onto the edges and used my fingers to curl them up just a touch. For a bit of glitz I sprayed the roofing pieces with Patina Glimmer Mist and heat set. I adhered the roofing pieces to the top of the birdhouse and then added some bling to every third row.
So what do you think? Was it worth the effort and time? Will I have the willpower to actually give it to my SIL?
Recipe:
Stamps: Home Sweet Home (Paper Pretties). Paper: Fun in the Sun mat pack (DCWV), Thinking of You designer (Karen Foster), Cool Caribbean, Riding Hood Red. Ink: Chocolate Chip Classic, Vintage Photo Distressing Ink (Ranger). Other: white acrylic paint, Patina Glimmer Mist (Tattered Angels), bling (Heidi Swapp), wood button (PTI), jute and ribbon (May Arts), mat pack, paper piercer, sanding block, sponge, wood birdhouse, scalloped scallop punch (EK Success), Heart to Heart and and Full Heart punches.

7 comments:

  1. I think it's AWESOME Danielle! What a fabulous gift idea and I LOVE the roof...brilliant girl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh WOW!!!! This is amazing!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, i couldn't give this away! LOL! They will love this handmade gift made from the heart! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is really just the perfect housewarming gift and I'd have a hard time giving it up too!

    Peace and Luv,
    Jeannie

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow this is so stunning
    xoxox BA

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your sweet comments! I love hearing from you. :)