Sunday, January 10, 2010

Have a Little Shimmer with that Flower

Hi crafty peeps!

I'm back this chilly Sunday with a Spring inspired card: lots of flowers, yellow and green! On that note, have you seen the fun flowers that Dawn M. has been creating left and right over at the Raspberry Suite (click HERE to see her fabulous video tutorial)? I think they are fantastic and had to try my hand at making a version of them.

I didn't have vintage book print but decided using various patterns of black and white designer paper would work... but then I thought a little color would be nice so I decided to add a bit of Glimmer Mist (gotta love the sparkle!). Since the Glimmer Mist would dampen the paper and cause rippling when it dried I decided to take advantage of that and made my flowers using the following steps:

1.) Punch four scalloped circles (I used SU!'s scalloped circle punch).
2.) Spray circles liberally with one or more colors of Glimmer Mist.
3.) Mentally prepare yourself for the next very messy step.
4.) Using your fingers scrunch up each of the pieces of paper. Your fingers should be nice and sparkly now and a bit inky... you'll survive. ;)
5.) Set aside the crumpled/scrunched pieces and let dry. OR you can use a heat tool to speed up the process.
6.) Once dry (yes you should wait until they are fully dried) unfold the pieces and flatten a smidge.
7.) Layer the four pieces on top of each other and fasten together using a brad OR sew together using a button and a piece of thread/jute.
8.) Attach to card using dimensionals!
9.) Sit back and enjoy your craftiness!

Since creating these flowers is rather messy I thought I might as well go ahead and make a bunch of them all at once. I used various colors of Glimmer Mist and a couple different methods of fastening the layers together: buttons tied on with jute and a variety of different large brads. Currently I'm storing the flowers with a bunch of other flowers I crocheted. They look soooo pretty together! :)
Recipe:
Stamps: Delightful Moments - December '09 KOTM (Unity Stamp Co.). Paper: Night and Day Specialty (SU!), Farm Fresh (October Afternoon), Aqua Mist and Spring Moss cardstock (PTI). Ink: Memento Tuxedo Black, Copic markers. Other: Glimmer Mist by Tattered Angels, button (PTI), corduroy ribbon and jute (May Arts), Oval Nestabilities (Spellbinders), dimensionals, mat pack paper piercer.

12 comments:

  1. Wonderful card and beautiful flowers!! I giggled over your steps--to mentally prepare yourself for the messy step! Fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. O wow! They are gorgeous! Love the card and the springy colors.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG these are ADORABLE! YOu need to open an etsy shop and SELL them. YOu are ROCKIN' the Unity, chicky!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your card and absolutely love your flowers! THanks for the link to the tutorial. I'm going to have to make some of my own. I have that punch too so I'm ready to go! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous card!!! Looks like you had a ton of fun making all those flowers, I am inspired to give it a try :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This card is gorgeous!! LOVE those flowers!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. gorgeous card and absolutely wonderful flowers
    xoxo BA

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love these flowers...do you have the directions posted anywhere on your site? Keep up the good work.
    lgaley@charter.net

    ReplyDelete
  9. Me again...guess I missed that paragraph....thanks! Have a good creative day! lgaley@charter.net

    ReplyDelete
  10. You always have such cooooool stuff to share :) Love the card...and the flowers are out of this world! Hope all is wonderful with you!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your sweet comments! I love hearing from you. :)