Tuesday, November 8, 2011

RCC28: Pillow Talk

Hello Crafty Friends!

It has been a few days since I posted but I have been very busy in the craft room creating a couple of decorative Christmas projects.  The first of which is for this week’s Ribbon Carousel Challenge!  Our amazingly talented new Crewmate, Andrea Ewen, is challenging us to use the following picture of gorgeous pillows as inspiration for a new creation!

Our sponsor this week is the fabulous Your Next Stamp!  One lucky participant will when a nice Your Next Stamp prize! 
 
To participate in this week’s challenge all you need to do is use the picture for inspiration and post it to the Ribbon Carousel blog.  Oh and your creation can be anything from cards, quilts, sewn items paper crafts or paintings!  You just need to be sure to include ribbon, bakers twine, jute twine, lace and/or thread (basically anything that comes on a spool).  For full details on the challenge, plenty of eye candy provided by the design team and more info on this week’s prize head over to the Ribbon Carousel Challenge blog!
 
Are you ready to see what I was inspired to make?  I just loved all of the ruffles on those pillows… oh la la… so I decided to make a box with ruffles!  And since an empty box is just calling to be filled I also made a couple of coordinating cards!
 
RCC28_RufflyPillows_DanielleLounds

First up – details on the box!  There isn’t a lot of stamping on the box but there is a whole lot of ribbon and fabric!  I layered a piece of designer paper on Early Espresso cardstock and stitched around the edges.  Next I cut two lengths of burgundy and ivory striped grosgrain ribbon and tacked them into place on the matted designer paper with just a touch of glue (I used an ATG glue gun and just put down two lines).  As I tacked the ribbon in place I pleated it a bit.  To permanently affix in place I sewed down the middle of each piece using my sewing machine and heavy duty white thread.  I did the same for the third ruffle except this time I used a 2” wide strip of Christmas fabric.

RCC28_RufflyPillows_Box_DanielleLounds

I wanted a shabbier look so I cut off the finished edges of the ribbon and then pulled out the first few strings.  I did the same to the fabric.  It was a messy process (strings everywhere) but I LOVE how it turned out.  The box needed a sentiment so I stamped “Happy Holidays” from the Pure Innocence – Christmas Stocking Girl set on Naturals Ivory cardstock, rounded the corners and then attached to the bottom corner of the box with foam dimensionals.

RCC28_RufflyPillows_Box_Closeup1_DanielleLounds

I also thought a bit more ribbon was needed so I wrapped a length of Ivory Vintage Seam Binding over the fabric and tied into a bow.  I added a little stick pin through the knot.  To finish, three cream glitter candy dots (from Pebbles) were added to the top left corner.  Oh, a couple more pieces of matted and stitched designer paper were added to the front and back of the box.

RCC28_RufflyPillows_Box_Closeup2_DanielleLounds

Since an empty box is just calling out for something to hold I made two cards (more can fit in there… but I ran out of time!).  I wanted the card to coordinate with the box so I used more of the Christmas fabric and more of the My Mind’s Eye designer paper that I used on the front of the box.

RCC28_RufflyPillows_Card_DanielleLounds

The trick to cutting shapes from fabric and not having the edges fray is to use Heat n Bond iron on adhesive.  You can find this in most stores that sell fabric.  For the main shaped panel I cut and ironed the fabric to a piece of light weight chip board.  I cut each layer separately using a Labels Nestabilities die and then ironed them together.  Once cooled (takes less than a minute) I added Bisque Liquid Pearls to the outside edges.  For the next layer I matted the designer paper on Early Espresso cardstock and stitched the edges.  The little girl was colored with Copic markers and her pajamas were paper pieced from another piece of designer paper.  I added white gel pen dots to her cheeks and a bit of glitter to the top of the stocking.

RCC28_RufflyPillows_Card_Closeup_DanielleLounds

To finish the card I used more of the Ivory Vintage Seam binding.  I think I could use a whole roll of that ribbon! ;)  For one final parting shot here is a picture of the two cards nestled inside of the box.  Hmm… I think I need to make them a few friends… maybe matching tags.  Heh heh heh.

RCC28_RufflyPillows_BoxOpen_DanielleLounds

Recipe:
Stamps: Pure Innocence – Christmas Stocking Girl (MFT Stamps).
Paper: Early Espresso, Naturals Ivory (SU!), Choice Snow White (TE), Lost & Found Christmas (My Mind’s Eye).
Ink: Memento Rich Cocoa, Memento Tuxedo Black, Copic markers, white gel pen.
Accessories: Bisque Liquid Pearls and Glossy Accents (Ranger), brads (Recollections), Ivory Vintage Seam Binding, Ivory/Burgundy Striped Ribbon, Labels Nestabilities (Spellbinders), Corner Chomper (We R Memory Keepers), stick pin (Webster’s Pages), Perfect Package Box (TE), heavy duty white thread and sewing machine, foam dimensionals, fabric, chipboard.

12 comments:

  1. Gorgeous creation, Danielle. I LOVE the way you made that box top. SO cool.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Danielle,

    I agreed with texasjodylynn, you made the top look so fabolous.
    Really inspired me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your cards are adorable and what a fab box! Cheers,
    Shanna :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Danielle -

    Thanks so much for sharing the fabric tip! Your work is so amazing, and I never cease to wonder at all of the details and how they work together to make a single cohesive and lovely tag or card.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, stunning!!! Those ruffles make me swoon. :)
    hugs
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOOOOOOW! You went all out! I looooooooooove those ribbons! Your creations are AMAZING! STUNNING:) LOVE!!!!!!!!!!!!

    HOOOORAY for joining our team:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this post; the box and cards are adorable! Just curious - what is the trick to getting machine stitching to look so perfect? Needle size, thread, stitch length? Combination of all 3? My stitching never looks so beautiful. :( Please let me know how you do it. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is EASILY one of your best creations EVAH!! I love, love, love this box and card set....so much in fact that you could send it to me for my "Shelf of Fame" if you really wanted to! Bwhahahahahahaha!!! ;) Thanks so much for staying on the team. I really do feel pretty lucky to call you my friend, Pickles.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Stunning set! I love how you decorated the box.

    ReplyDelete
  10. WOW!! I am in AWE!! Love all the gorgeous details and ruffles you created with the ribbon!! I could sit and look at this all day!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, WOW Danielle! I love the combination of ribbons...the colors and textures just draw your eye marvelously! And that sweet little box coordinates perfectly with those perfectly sweet cards! Fabulous work!

    ReplyDelete
  12. soooo so cute, Danielle! looove how you pleated all that ribbon and fabric.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your sweet comments! I love hearing from you. :)