Thursday, December 15, 2011

Inspired by Tim: Noel Tag

Hi crafty friends,

I mentioned in my last post that I was inspired by Tim Holtz and his 12 Tags of Christmas to make a few bigger tags featuring some fun techniques.  Here is the first one which was inspired by his very first tag:

InspiredByTim1_NoelTag

I loved the glittery noel and the embossed background from his tag so decided to incorporate those elements into my tag.  There is no stamping on this tag… none… zilch… zip… rather shocking! ;)

For the background: I embossed a piece of green cardstock with the Basic Grey – Evergreen embossing folder from Sizzix.  I covered one side of the folder with VersaMark ink before adding the cardstock and running it through my Big Shot.  While the ink was still wet I coated the cardstock with White embossing powder and then heat set.  Tim has some great step-by-step photos on his blog of this technique… it is well worth checking out if you are unfamiliar with the technique.

For the sparkly letters: I stared with some chipboard letters that I had in my stash (these were from a Heidi Swapp collection).  I painted each letter with December Sky Blingz and heat set.  This paint is quite sparkly but I wanted even MORE sparkle so I then coated each letter with Glossy Accents and dusted with Snowflake glitter.

InspiredByTim1_NoelTag_CloseupOfGlitteryNoel

I couldn’t just stop with a sparkly noel so I created a blue pom pom from felt using the Loopy Bloom dienamics die from MFT.  Nestled behind the bloom are a couple of leaves that I die cut from felt using the Mini Leaves dies from Taylored Expressions.  Yup – I was pulling out all of my favorite supplies and did not stick with just one company… and it was FUN! :)  Behind the bloom I tacked some green grosgrain ribbon in place adding some pleats.  To permanently affix the ribbon in place I ran it through my sewing machine.  I covered up the stitches by tying another length of ribbon around panel.

InspiredByTim1_NoelTag_CloseupOfPomPom

I wanted to distress the tag a bit so I sponged Frayed Burlap Distress Ink on the tag base, the kraft mat and the edges of the leaves. For more sparkle I added dots of Platinum Liquid Pearls along the tag and the main panel that I adhered the chipboard letters to.

InspiredByTim1_NoelTag_CloseupOfCorkLeaves

To finish the tag I added a jumbo eyelet and some seam binding that I dyed with Glimmer Mist. I really do like how this tag turned out… what do you think?

Recipe:
Paper: Manila tag, Kraft (PTI), Olive (SU!).
Ink: Frayed Burlap Distress Ink (Ranger), Versamark.
Accessories: White embossing powder (SU!), December Sky Blingz (Shimmerz), cork, blue wool-blend felt, green grosgrain and striped brown ribbon (May Arts), Seam binding (Hug Snug), Glimmer Mist (Tattered Angels), Platinum Liquid Pearls and Glossy Accents (Ranger), Snowflake glitter (Martha Stewart), jumbo eyelet (We R Memory Keepers), foam dimensionals, Basic Grey – Evergreen embossing folder (Sizzix), Loopy Blooms Dienamics (MFT), Mini Leaves Dies (Taylored Expressions).

4 comments:

  1. Very pretty! I like all the fun details you added. Those sparkly letters are so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. L*O*V*E this Danielle! This is awesome! Love that soft blue in there, and all the sparkle! Wonderful! I hope you have a great Christmas! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow! so much going on with this tag.....love the detail.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your tag and those sparkly letters are heavenly. ;)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your sweet comments! I love hearing from you. :)