Saturday, December 10, 2011

Keeping Count of the Days

Hi crafty friends!

I’m sharing a big project with you today… one that took a while to make. Then I spent just as much time waiting to take pictures of it since it needed to be hung and then the lighting was bad.  But today, all things came together and the pictures turned out nice so I’m sharing my… Advent Calendar!

Lookee at this pretty wall hanging!  I started with a cookie sheet that I painted a cream color and then decorated:

TEAdventCalenderWithMagnets_DLounds

The cookie sheet I bought was non-stick and I thought primer would stick to it.  It didn’t!  So I had to start over and sand off the first coats of primer and paint (and some of the non-stick coating) and paint it a second time.  My advice?  Sand it first so you don’t have to redo it like I did. ;)  Once the paint dried I covered the inside with Season’s Greetings designer paper from Echo Park.  I used Perfect Paper Adhesive (matte finish) from USArtQuest to adhere the paper in place and then I sealed the paper with a couple more coats for added durability.  Once that dried I added dots of Bisque Liquid Pearls along the outside edges.

ShoppingBagandLabels

For the count down I used the Shopping Bag and Labels die to create little boxes and then decorated them so that each one is different. I used various Thickers stickers and the You’re My Type – Lower & # stamp set to number each box.  Each box holds a different piece of candy… although you could also use them to hold little trinkets or the like. :)

TEAdventCalenderWithMagnets_Closeup_DLounds

For extra sturdiness I mounted each decorated box on a piece of chipboard.  I cut each piece of chipboard, covered it with more Echo Park designer paper and rounded the corners with the 1/4” Corner Chomper.  To finish I sanded the edges using an emery board (which work great and they are cheap!). 

TEAdventCalenderWithMagnets_SideCloseup_DLounds

Here is a close up of one of the boxes/bags.  I used various TE stamp sets to decorate each box: Woodland Winter, Hangin’ Out – At the North Pole, Wings of Joy and From the Heart.

TEAdventCalenderWithMagnets_SingleSideCloseup_DLounds

On the back of each box/bag I attached a magnet (or two… some of the magnets I had weren’t as strong).  This way the boxes can be moved around.  You can line them up straight or position them a bit wonky (as I did) or even place them on the cookie sheet in a random order.  Note – because I used magnets I couldn’t use an aluminum cookie sheet (which would have been easier to paint).

TEAdventCalenderWithMagnets_BackView_DLounds

So what do you think?  I’d love to hear your thoughts on this project.  Also, if you would like me to right up the details on how I decorated each box/bag just let me know.  I’m thinking a series of posts with all the details would be fun but I don’t want to bore my readers. ;)

Recipe:
Stamps: You’re My Type – Lower & #, Woodland Winter, Wings of Joy, Hangin’ Out – At the North Pole, From the Heart (Taylored Expressions).
Paper: Red, Soft Sky, Naturals Ivory, Basic Black, Ripe Avocado, Spring Moss (SU! and PTI), Choice Snow White (TE), Season’s Greetings designer (Echo Park).
Ink: Memento Tuxedo Black, Copic markers.
Accessories: chipboard, magnets, various ribbons (May Arts), baker’s twine (Doodlebug), Perfect Paper Adhesive – Matte (USArtQuest), primer and cream paint, Tim Holtz fragments, ghost heart (Heidi Swapp), Glossy Accents, Bisque Liquid Pearls, Rouge Liquid Pearls (Ranger), Scrabble tiles, Thickers (American Crafts), Choc-o-lot and Royal Red Shimmerz (Shimmerz Paints), Tiny Twinkles (TE), Crystal glitter (MS), stick pins and chipboad shapes (Maya Road), foam dimensional tape, Circle and Petite Scalloped Circle dies (Spellbinders), Shopping Bag and Labels die (TE).

12 comments:

  1. Wow, what an amazing and creative advent calendar! It's beautiful! TFS!
    hugs, margie

    ReplyDelete
  2. This must have been so much fun - look at all the stamp sets you used!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh My......I have no words....

    This is fantabulous, Danielle! Fantastic project!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my goodness - it is so fab! The colors, the design elements, the construction, all of it is SUPERIOR! I am in awe!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! I am in awe! You will have fun using that for many years to come!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is absolutely breathtaking!! All the detail & love shows. I'm blown away! It would take me a full year to get something like that completed.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, this did turn out so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my goodness!!! I LOVE this! My kids have advent calendars from church but this would be so much fun to make and display each year!! TFS!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Surely you can't be serious! My jaw is on the floor. I love it! This is unreal!

    ReplyDelete
  10. HOLY HECK!!!! THIS is stunning and soooo inspirational. I think I want to make one of these for next year.....I better get started on it now :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. My thoughts? Totally over the top CUTE and such a great use of paper and stamps. I'm totally going to CASE your project because I think your advent calendar would make a perfect pre-holiday gift and I want one to decorate my kitchen. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Holy moley, girl!! I just saw this and I'm just floored! What a super fun idea and I"m totally bookmarking this for next year. So stinkin' fantastic!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your sweet comments! I love hearing from you. :)