Friday, December 21, 2012

Holiday Décor 2012: Snowman Ornaments

A while back I saw these really cute snowmen on Pinterest.  My mom and I decided that it would be fun to make a batch of them so I bought/ordered all of the supplies and then on Black Friday instead of shopping we built snowmen.  Lots and lots of them; 29 to be exact. ;)

SnowmanOnTheTree_DanielleLounds

Supplies used:

  • 1 1/2” wood doll heads / knobs
  • 1 1/2” buttons
  • 2” wood doll heads / knobs
  • 20 gauge wire
  • White acrylic paint
  • Pearl Acrylic craft paint (Martha Stewart)
  • Matte varnish
  • Black paint pen
  • Orange polymer clay
  • Various colors of yarn
  • Jute (available at most hardware stores)
  • Hot Glue Sticks
  • Pink Distress Ink (for the cheeks)

Tools: foam brushes, 3/8” drill bit, 1/16” drill bit, hot glue gun, wire cutters.

SnowmanAllTogether_DanielleLounds

To assemble:

1. Finish drilling hole through head using a 3/8” hole (there will already be a hole started on the flat side of the doll head. 

2. Drill 1/16” hole on the face where the nose will be attached.

3. Paint body and head using acrylic paints and foam brushes.  I painted some of them with a Pearl paint and others with a white acrylic paint – added a second coat of paint for better coverage.  I also added a finish coat of matte varnish to the white snowman.  The pearl paint had a nice finish already so I didn’t need to clear coat them.

4. Bend a piece of wire in half and shape the bend so there is a nice loop.  Thread the head and a button onto the wire.  The button acts as a spacer.  Then cut the wire so that it is just long enough to fit inside the snowman bottom (there is a hole already drilled that goes about halfway through the doll head.

5. Using hot glue secure the wire ends inside the snowman bottom.

6. After sculpting the noses from clay and baking according to directions use the 1/16” drill bit to drill a hole.  You can then use hot glue and a short piece of wire to attach the nose to the face.  Yeah, I overestimated how big the noses needed to be… you should have seen the first batch.  Wowsa!

7.  Finish by decorating your snowman.  I used a black paint pen for the eyes and mouth, some fun yarn to make a scarf and a bit of pink Distress Ink applied with a cotton swab to make the cheeks blush.

SnowmanCouple_Closeup_DanielleLounds

Thought I would share a few pictures of the snowman unassembled, in particular they are having their coats of snow painted on. ;)

SnowmanAssembly1_DanielleLounds

We made quite the mess of my mom’s dining room table, didn’t we?  And you can sort of see on the top right how one side of the doll heads / knobs is already flat.

SnowmanAssembly2_DanielleLounds

I used some of the wire and foam from packaging to make some impromptu stands to hold the doll heads while they dried.  I had to pat myself on the back for that idea since it worked out so well! :)

Hope you like them.  Have a great day.

1 comment:

  1. These turned out so cute!! I bet your Mom had the best time w/ you!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your sweet comments! I love hearing from you. :)