Tuesday, April 9, 2013

The Little Birdies Like to SING!

Hello Crafty Friends -

Hopefully your week is off to a good start! I spent some time over the weekend being crafty and I’m just now getting around to blogging about one of the projects I made.

Mixed media seems to be big at the moment and while I’m not quite ready to jump into it with both feet I thought I could dip my toes in and try a technique or two.  Although, I did buy a couple canvases at the art store over the weekend.  Hmm… ;)

PenelopeMixedMedia_DanielleLounds

I didn’t have a chance to use the Penelope & Birdcage stamp set during release week at There She Goes, so it seemed fitting to use her for this card.  Now as far as mixed media I wanted to play with stencils (I used Chickenwire by The Crafter’s Workshop) and modeling paste to add some texture to the designer paper.  Once dry it has a matte finish, which you can see in the bottom left corner.  For even more texture I added some Clear Rock Candy Crackle Paint (from Ranger) here and there.  I learned a couple things: it is really difficult to sew over modeling paste (the foot kept sticking) and crackle paint doesn’t crackle when applied on top of the modeling paste – at least it didn’t for me. ;)  Although, you can see a bit of crackling on the designer paper if you look closely. Squinting a lot can help. Heh.

PenelopeMixedMedia_Closeup1_DanielleLounds

Of course I added a few of my favorite touches: Glossy Accents and Glitter.  Oh, and a few pearls. I also sponged a bit of Worn Lipstick Distress Ink to the edges of the designer paper and used a distressing tool on the edges.

PenelopeMixedMedia_Closeup2_DanielleLounds

So what do you think?  I need to practice a bit more but so far I’m having fun.  And speaking of fun, here is another project I started this weekend (so very ready for Spring!):

EarlyBeginningsOfAGarden_2013_DanielleLounds

2 comments:

  1. This is wonderful!! Awesome job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oooo! this card is fantastic. I noticed that extra texture right away. mixed media is fun. LOVE your penelope....so sweet!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your sweet comments! I love hearing from you. :)