Hello Crafty Friends -
I’ve been wanting to try making a mixed media canvas for a while and I finished one last night that I just had to share (the first one was a dud!). Front and center is a sentiment from the Stuff to Say - Tim Holtz stamp set which I stamped on Kraft cardstock and sponged with Walnut Stain Distress Ink. Before sponging, I cutout the panel using a Labels Eighteen Nestabilities die.
I used the Rolled Rose Die-namic and some pretty reddish-pink felt to create the flowers. I cut some leaves from Peeled Paint cardstock and doodled some black lines and roughed the edges up a bit before sponging with more of the Walnut Stain Distress Ink. A little twill ribbon and I was done embellishing.
I thought I would share a few pictures of the base canvas as I created it (canvas is 5” wide by 7” tall):
1. Paint canvas with various colors of acrylic paint (I used Liquitex) and then let dry. I painted messy so there would be some variation in the color.
2. Cut a piece of white tissue paper, ball it up to crinkle it and then smooth it out.
3. Adhere the tissue paper to the painted canvas using a liquid glue like Multi Medium (I used Matte Perfect Paper Adhesive from USArtQuest).
4. Trim excess tissue paper and adhere edges to side of canvas using multi medium.
5. Apply a thick coat of the multi medium over the whole canvas to seal everything all nice and neat. Let dry.
6. Spritz canvas with White Linen Dylusions Ink Spray… and let dry. ;)
7. Add some additional detail by using a stencil (Dotted Flower Stencil by Dylusions) and adding modeling paste. Let dry… again.
8. Seal canvas by spraying with a varnish. I used Krylon Kamar Varnish in a matte finish.
8. Once the varnish is dry, decorate the canvas. :D
Here is a close up of the stenciling done with modeling paste. You can also see that I spritzed the sentiment panel with more of the White Linen Dylusions Ink Spray.
And here is a close up of the tissue paper and spattered white ink spray. I love how these layers softened the impact of the acrylic paint. It was a bit… bright.
Coupon Alert! If you are shopping at the Inspiration Emporium you can use coupon code fatcatstamper for 10% off your order. Pictured below are links to some of the products I used to create this canvas. :)
Stamps: Stuff to Say (Stamper’s Anonymous).
Paper: Kraft (MFT), Peeled Paint (Core’dinations), tissue paper.
Ink: Archival Jet Black (Ranger), Walnut Stain Distress Stains (Ranger).
Accessories: Natural twill ribbon (May Arts), wool-blend felt, Labels 18 Nestabilities (Spellbinders), Rolled Rose Die-namics (MFT), Dotted Flowers stencil (Dylusions), White Linen Dylusions Ink Spray (Ranger), foam dimensional tape (TE).