Sunday, August 25, 2013

A Spooky Box

Besides Christmas decorations I don’t have much seasonal décor to spruce up my house. That is about to change as I made my first display box; Halloween style. I also picked up a fun skull ornament at Pier 1 Imports. Once October rolls around and I clean all the random items sitting on my table (the pile of mail is out of control) I’ll set up a little arrangement. :)

HalloweenAlterationsBox_Front_DanielleLounds

For my project, I started with the smallest Alterations Box and added some style using paints and designer paper.  I painted the outside with Antique Linen Distress Ink and once dry I adhered designer paper from the Mischievous pad (My Mind’s Eye).  The inside boxes were painted with a gray paint (I mixed black and white acrylic paints) and then the bottoms were lined with more of the designer paper.  It was a little too clean, so I dry brushed some black acrylic paint here and there for a grungy look. Then for some sparkle, I added Black Soot Distress Glitter in random places using Glossy Accents as an adherent.

HalloweenAlterationsBox_Closeup1_DanielleLounds

Each of the inner boxes has some different decorations.  For the first box I added the following:

  • a bottle cap that I added some Rusty Hinge Distress Paint to the edges
  • a skull cut from chipboard using the Mini Bat and Skull dies, painted with Antique Linen Distress Paint, and accented with Antique Linen Distress Glitter.
  • a couple of small wooden spools (Maya Road) and some black hologram sequins which I also added to a bunch of the other boxes to tie everything together.

HalloweenAlterationsBox_Closeup2_DanielleLounds

Box number 2 is looking especially frightful featuring the following:

HalloweenAlterationsBox_Closeup2b_DanielleLounds

Another picture of the second box…

  • There is a little strip of Antique Linen Distress cardstock stamped with a date.
  • Some random buttons and a few more sequins.
  • A skull charm (found in the jewelry making aisle of a craft store).

HalloweenAlterationsBox_Closeup3_DanielleLounds

Box number three was actually the first one I decorated.  Gotta start somewhere, right? :)

  • A light bulb that was colored yellow with a Copic marker.
  • Halloween ticket from CMS100 Odds and Ends stamped in Archival Jet Black on Antique Linen Distress cardstock.
  • A Charm Fragment that I spelled out “Spooky” on with Label Letters. A little orange baker’s twine was added for a final touch.
  • It is hard to see but behind the fragment is a tiny silver button.

HalloweenAlterationsBox_Closeup4_DanielleLounds

The fourth box is probably my favorite – googlie eyes are the best!

  • I filled a Corked Vial with googlie eyes and clear microbeads… every mad scientist needs a jar of eyeballs on a shelf.
  • Behind the jar is a rosette that was cut from Rusty Hinge Distress cardstock using the Mini Paper Rosettes Die and decorated with a wood button (Basic Grey) and some May Arts ribbon.
  • For a final touch I added a small clothespin and a couple sequins.

HalloweenAlterationsBox_Closeup5_DanielleLounds

Even though it is the last box I didn’t skimp on the details. :)

  • Spelled out “October” using letter beads.
  • Spelled out “Boo” using scrabble tiles that I grunged up a bit using Black Soot Distress Stain and then coated with Glossy Accents.
  • Added a small resin flower and some polka dot organdy ribbon (May Arts).

And here is one final picture of the box so you can see more of the designer paper, glitter and the knob that I added to the top.

HalloweenAlterationsBox_SideTop_DanielleLounds

What do you think?  Do you like it and if so what is your favorite part?  I think I need to decorate a few more of these boxes for other holidays/seasons.

5 comments:

  1. yep, googlie eye vial is my favorite part! The whole thing is wonderful though. I love the configuration boxes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ohmyAwesomness!!! I love every little detail you added. the black glitter on the outside is fabby!! sooo spooktacular!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG, this is awesome! :D

    xoxo Kicki

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your sweet comments! I love hearing from you. :)